Update: For those of you who missed this, you can watch the webcast at this link:
Yes, I know this is a blog about the Supreme Court of Ohio. But next Tuesday, August 27, there is such an exciting program sponsored by the University of Cincinnati College of Law that I wanted to share it, and that is a panel discussion celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. This is no dry recitation of rules. It will be a lively panel discussion moderated by Professor Arthur R. Miller of NYU in the style he used on his award-winning Fred Friendly seminars on PBS. Professor Miller is the nation’s leading scholar in the field of American civil procedure and coauthor of Federal Practice and Procedure with the late Charles Wright. The star-studded panel will be taking a wide angle view of what the rules were designed to achieve, how they have been applied, what is happening now, and what the future of the Federal Rules might be.
The panel presentation will be held from 3-5 p.m. at the Patricia Corbett Theater in the College Conservatory of Music. The program is free and open to the public. Two CLE credits have been approved for Ohio and Kentucky. Seats to this event are still available, but RSVP’s are requested. If interested, please rsvp to email@example.com
Here’s a list of the participating panelists
- Thomas Y. Allman, Senior V.P., General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, BASF Corporation (retired)
- Hon. Michael R. Barrett, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Hon. Susan J. Dlott, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Al Gerhardstein, Partner, Gerhardstein and Branch Co., LPA
- Hon. Nancy Gertner (ret.), Professor of Practice, Harvard Law School
- Hon. Maureen O’Connor, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Ohio
- Hon. Solomon Oliver, Jr., Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Andrew J. Pincus, Partner, Mayer Brown LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Victor E. Schwartz, Partner, Shook Hardy & Bacon, LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Senator Bill Seitz, 8th District, Ohio Senate
- David A. Singleton, Executive Director, Ohio Justice and Policy Center
- Michael E. Solimine, Donald P. Klekamp Professor of Law, University of Cincinnati College of Law
- Hon. Jeffrey S. Sutton, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Carolyn A. Taggart, Partner, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Suja A. Thomas, Professor, University of Illinois College of Law
- John Vail, Vice President and Senior Litigation Counsel, Center for Constitutional Litigation, Washington, DC